DEMETER

Demeter - Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action

Demeter is the Greek Goddess of agriculture, grain and harvest. She represents the fertility of the earth, the cycles of life and death. Demeter is the mother of Persephone. When Persephone was abducted by Hades, Demeter went into grieving and the vegetation died. Persephone spends part of each year in the underworld and returns each Spring. The grieving and joy of Demeter causes the seasons to change.

Shortly after graduating from Art School, I painted Demeter. Today I looked everywhere for an image of that painting which was sold many years ago, looking through hundreds of old photos, contacting the friend I thought who had bought it... nothing. It is as if that painting, that daughter of mine, had been abducted and was now lost in the dark. I even cried when my search proved futile and then I realized it was a perfect metaphor and that maybe in the spring, somehow she will appear once more. 

In my deck Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action Demeter says:

Oh, my daughter
You who have been abducted
Into the dark underworld
I search for you
My terrible grief lays famine in its wake
But then you return, more lovely than ever
The hope of spring
In my joy, the earth flourishes once more
The secrets of the seasons
The descent, search and ascent
Bind us, forever my daughter

The action is:

Cycles
Travel the underworld of darkness
Soul searching
Emerge into the light, flourishing


Purchase Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action here