PERSEPHONE

Persephone - Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action

Persephone is the Greek Goddess of both vegetation and the underworld. Hades, the God of the underworld, spied the beautiful maiden Persephone gathering flowers, fell in love with her and abducted her. Persephone became his wife, the Queen of the Underworld. Her mother Demeter's deep grief in losing her daughter caused grain and vegetation to stop growing, thus causing the seasons. After a long search aided by Hecate, Demeter found Persephone and brought her back, but Hades had tricked Persephone into eating pomegranate seeds which meant she had to return to him in the underworld for part of the year. 

Each year around the time of Mabon, Fall Equinox I feel as if I am being abducted into the darkness, the shortening days distress me. As a gardener and lover of nature I mourn the loss of vegetation and my time spent outdoors. Yet, the seeds of creativity keep me captive in my studio, and I grow to love that time too. This is a painting I made one winter many years ago.

The abduction of Persephone, oil on wood


In this painting I show the abduction of Persephone based on a sculpture by Bernini. Despite her struggle the room is opulent and luxurious, with heavenly upholstery, poppies blooming on the table, surly she will come to love her time there. Out the window you can see Demeter sowing grain. At the top is the pomegranate. 

In my deck Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action Persephone says:

I move between the worlds
Maiden of the flowering meadow
Spring, and sprouting earth
Queen of the underworld, seeds that lie dormant
Enter my mysteries through trance
In the depth of winter, in the deepness of sleep
In the stillness of death, there is rest
In the sprouting of seed, in the freshness of life
in the flowering of love, there is resurrection
Honor the cycles within you

The action is:

Potential
Plant the seeds of your desires
Nurture and nourish them as they gestate
Taste the sweet fruit of your labor.

Persephone - Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action

Purchase Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action here