AMATERASU

Amaterasu - Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action

Amaterasu is the Japanese Shinto Sun Goddess. Amaterasu means "shining in heaven". After an argument where Amaterasu's brother Susanoo insults her, Amaterasu withdraws and hides in a cave, this plunges the world into darkness and chaos. The Gods decide to try and lure Amaterasu from her cave by holding a party. Uzume, the shaman Goddess does a bawdy dance and the laughter brings a curious Amaterasu to the entrance of the cave. An octagonal mirror is held up and Amaterasu is dazzled by her own reflection and emerges from the cave and daylight is restored. The Emperors of Japan are considered to be direct descendants of Amaterasu.


I did a series of three dimensional boxes, where I painted on the glass front, and on the inside wood panels and added elements to make a shrine. I accidentally dropped the glass when I was painting Amaterasu, and somehow the glass shards seemed perfect as elements in the shrine. Amaterasu is all about reflection, mirroring and the shattering of ego to reveal our essential radiance.

Amaterasu Box Oil on Wood and Glass 12 x 12 x 3


The Oracle of Amaterasu:

Lure me out of my dark cave
With laughter and playfulness
It is too long that I have dwelt without seeing 
The brightness of sunshine
The beauty of the world
As I venture back into the light
My own reflection 
Becomes a mirror to your shining self

The Action of Amaterasu:

Radiate
Let yourself succeed
Radiate your gifts into the world

Amaterasu - Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action

Purchase Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action here