King of Pentacles

The King of Pentacles represents wisdom, knowing what you want and how to get it and enjoying the fruits of your labor. 


Thinking about a King for this card I went on an internet adventure searching for inspiration, almost immediately King Solomon popped up. I found out that he was known for his wisdom as well as his riches.  Solomon surrounded himself with many wives and concubines who turned his head toward idolatry worship - in particular Ashtoreth who is also identified as Astarte. She is the Goddess of fertility and sexuality. The Song of Songs is full of erotic Goddess imagery. Queen Sheba, from Ethiopia had heard of King Solomon's great wisdom and riches and came visiting bearing gifts of herbs and gold. The Rastafarians believe they are the descendants of the union between the two. King Solomon built the first temple in Jerusalem using an architect named Hiram who some believe to be the father of Free Masonry.


There is so much symbolism packed into this card - I hope you have as much fun finding it as I did painting it. The synchronicities I experienced as I painted this was that I was in the process of building my own temple (my studio), feeling so grateful to be able to get what I wanted. Also when I read about the Song of Songs, the Rose of Sharon plant is mentioned - I had six huge blooming Roses of Sharon plants. I certainly feel abundance all around me.