GUADALUPE

Guadalupe - Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action


Guadalupe is the Mother of the Americas. Between the 9th and 13th December, 1531, Juan Diego, a native Mexican saw the apparition of a young woman four times on Tepeyac hill, just outside Mexico City. Tonatzin - an ancient Aztec Goddess, known as the Mother of Gods, had been worshiped at the same site at a temple that was destroyed by the Spanish. The woman in the visions spoke to Juan Diego in his native language Nahuatl (Aztec) asking to be called Guadalupe and for a church to be built for her in that location. At first the Archbishop of Mexico City - Zumarraga did not believe Juan Diego, after the third apparition Juan was asked to provide proof. Guadalupe asked Juan to gather flowers at the top of Tepeyac hill. Juan gathered roses in his tilma/cloak which were blooming miraculously in December. When Juan met with the Archbishop, he opened his tilma and the roses fell out revealing an image of Guadalupe. A chapel was built on the site where other miracles occurred. The tilma with the image of Guadalupe is now enshrined in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mexico City, the most visited Catholic pilgrimage site in the world, and the world's third most-visited sacred site. The words "No estoy yo aqui que soy tu Madre?" (Am I not here, I who am your Mother) are inscribed over the main entrance to the Basilica of Guadalupe.



The original tilma of Saint Juan Diego,  
hangs above the high altar of the Guadalupe Basilica.


When I moved to New Mexico I noticed images of Guadalupe everywhere - I became fascinated with the story, particularly how Tonantzin - the Aztec Mother Goddess became synchronized with the Virgin Mary. I made this painting of Tonantzin shortly after arriving in New Mexico.


Tonantzin - oil on wood 


When my son Noah was seventeen, he finished high school a semester early and went to visit my parents in South Africa. After a few weeks he decided to hitch-hike through Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Namibia. We lost contact with him for a few months. I was out of my mind with worry as it an extremely dangerous territory. I would visit the Sanctuario de Guadalupe here in Santa Fe and ask Guadalupe to protect Noah. He arrived home safely four months later.



Five of Pentacles - Tarot de St. Croix


In Tarot de St. Croix I painted the Sanctuario de Guadalupe in Santa Fe. The Five of Pentacles is about physical difficulties, whether it is caused by financial concerns, ill health or a difficult environment. Here in Santa Fe, in all sorts of weather, one can see a group of desperate day laborers waiting to be hired. Perhaps they need to send money home to Mexico or earn enough to feed themselves? It breaks my heart to see them rush up to a vehicle who may only hire one for a couple hours of dirty, heavy work. But then I see where they stand beneath the gaze of Guadalupe outside the oldest church in the USA dedicated to her. The five pentacles on her cloak emphasize her message of how she helps us in our time of need. 

Guadalupe - Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action


In my deck Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action, Guadalupe says to you:


Am I not here, I, who am your Mother
Are you not under my shadow and protection
Am I not the source of your joy
Do you need something more
I am truly your compassionate Mother
I listen to your weeping and sadness
I cleanse you of your troubles
I nurse your miseries
I remedy your suffering

The Action is:


Healing 
Sink into the sacred heart
Feel the healing power of love.



Purchase Invoking the Goddess Oracle and Action here